BIRTHDAY OUTING TO CHISWICK HOUSE (5/21)
Central pavilion of the Conservatory in the grounds of Chiswick House, London, seen from the SE.
Chiswick House itself was built in 1729, but the Conservatory is later. After the Dukes of Devonshire (Cavendish family) had inherited the house, the 6th Duke extended the grounds by purchasing the estate next door. He commissioned Samuel Ware to design this conservatory on his new land. Completed in 1813, the conservatory was then the longest ever built at 302ft (96m). The Conservatory is famous for its large collection of camellias, some surviving from those planted in 1828. (Information from: www.chgt.org.uk/index.asp?Pageid=12)
We also visited the pioneering landscaped grounds (William Kent) with their classical-style monuments and sculptures.
ID: DSC_3215 – Version 2
Tagged: , Great_Britain , England , London , Chiswick , Chiswick_House , people , pavilion , conservatory , glasshouse , Samuel_Ware , building , Regency , 19th_Century , greenhouse , glass , London_Borough_of_Hounslow