Kew Gardens was founded in 1840; it houses over 30,000 species of live plants. It was established from the exotic garden at Kew Park, which was first planted in the 18th century.
The Palm House, seen here, was built from 1844 to 1848, and was designed by the architect Decimus Burton and the iron founder Richard Turner. In front of the Palm House are ten statues of the Queen’s Beasts, sculpted by James Woodford for Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation at Westminster Abbey in 1953. The original statues are now in Canada; these are Portland stone replicas made in 1958.
Tagged: , Halas , Hałas , United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland , United Kingdom , UK , Great Britain , England , Surrey , London , Richmond upon Thames , Kew , Kew Gardens , Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew , Kew Park , botanical gardens , botany , garden , UNESCO World Heritage Site , Palm House , greenhouse , glasshouse , Decimus Burton , Richard Turner , Queen’s Beasts , statue , sculpture , James Woodford , architecture